[Crash-utility] Re: crash and sles 9 dumps

Cliff Wickman cpw at sgi.com
Mon Aug 13 16:33:30 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 05:19:10PM +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Daniel Li <dli at virtualiron.com> [2007-08-09 18:58]:
> > I got it working with vmlinux.dbg rebuilt with SMP flag turned on.
>
> LKCD dumps should work with the SLES9 kernel. But not with Kerntypes
> file, but with a kernel guilt with debug info (-g).
>
> > I wonder what was going on with crash and the kerntypes file, which was
> > working with lcrash.
>
> The latest crash works with Kerntypes file. However, I did not test
> whether it works with LKCD dump files.

The typical LKCD kerntypes is built by compiling linux/init/kerntypes.c
with -g. That produces a very limited set of kernel types.

The kerntypes file that crash can use is built by the LKCD dwarfexract
command.  Types are extracted from a -g kernel and modules.  And dwarfextract
writes a magic ELF e_version that crash uses to distinguish a kerntypes from
a vmlinux.  So only such a kerntypes file will work.