[Crash-utility] kdump and lvm ?

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Wed Oct 31 12:03:24 UTC 2007

I'm trying to get kdump working on our RHEL5 servers,
but am failing to get any dumps. After I trigger a crash,
it starts booting the kdump environment, but quickly
fails with messages about (from memory):

	Imported volume group "rootvg" OK.
	Failed to find logical volume /dev/mapper/-swaplv
	Failed to find logical volume /dev/mapper/-rootlv
	Failed to find logical volume /dev/mapper/-varlv
	Failed to find logical volume /dev/mapper/-locallv

and dumps me into the shell.  I checked the /dev/mapper
directory, and found the expected /dev/mapper/rootvg-swaplv,
/dev/mapper/rootvg-rootlv, etc.. So the problem seems to be
that kdump is eating up the "rootvg"-part of the device name.

Is this a known problem? Any ideas for how to fix it ?

Another thing.. anybody know if it's possible the redirect
the kdump output to netconsole ? That would be very nice
for capturing the reason when it fails..

  -jf