[Crash-utility] crash 4.0-3.14 and SLES 10

Bernhard Walle bwalle at suse.de
Thu Sep 13 20:22:51 UTC 2007

* Daniel Li <dli at virtualiron.com> [2007-09-13 22:05]:
> Bernhard Walle wrote:
>> * Daniel Li <dli at virtualiron.com> [2007-09-13 21:34]:
>>
>>> From what I saw, 'not stripped' doesn't mean it has the .debug_info
>>> section. After I compiled a kernel with '-g' flag and feed that to crash,
>>> that error message went away.
>>>

>> That's necessary on SLES9. On SLES10, we have -debuginfo packages.
>
> I tried it yesterday on my SLES 10 box. First of all, I couldn't find the
> 'kernel-smp-debug' or any 'debuginfo' package, the only one I could find
> was called 'kernel-debug', which claimed to have the debug kernel. So I
> installed that package and found the debug linux image it installed under
> /boot.

For the debug kernel, you have to install kernel-debug-debuginfo to
have debugging information available. For the location, the debuginfo
packages are not on CD/DVD but only available as online repository.

If you have problems finding the location, please contact support
(yes, that's nothing for this mailinglist here, but I hope Dave
doesn't remove me from the list now ;-)).

You can always use the KOTD [1], BTW.

> However, when I attempted to feed that kernel to crash, it freezed
> my host. I tried it both with the smp kernel and default kernel, and both
> times the host freezed up. Right now I'm planning to patch up the system
> (current version is 2.6.16.46-0.12) to the latest updates and hope this
> might take care of the problem.

This looks like a bug.

Thanks,
   Bernhard

[1] ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/SLES10_SP1_BRANCH