[Crash-utility] invalid regs display in bt

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 19:13:56 UTC 2007

Dave Anderson wrote:
> [...]
>>  > the other exceptions jmp to it.
>>  >
>>  > But even your code is creating the remainder of the pt_regs
>>  > after the essential registers laid down by the hardware
>>  > exception mechanism, by pushing the remaining registers,
>>  > "upwards" towards the beginning of the structure:
>>  >
>>  > struct pt_regs {
>>  >          long ebx;
>>  >          long ecx;
>>  >          long edx;
>>  >          long esi;
>>  >          long edi;
>>  >          long ebp;
>>  >          long eax;
>>  >          int  xds;
>>  >          int  xes;
>>  >          long orig_eax;
>>  >          long eip;
>>  >          int  xcs;
>>  >          long eflags;
>>  >          long esp;
>>  >          int  xss;
>>  > };
>>  >
>>  > Right?
>>  >
>>  > Dave
>>  >

>> I don't think so. Am I misreading this:
>>
>> we take a page fault at ring 0. The cpu pushes eflags, cs, eip,
>> error-code
>> we enter the kernel at:
>> ENTRY(page_fault)
>>         pushl $do_page_fault
>>         jmp error_code
>>
>> we have errror code in orig_eax
>>

>> error_code:
>>         pushl %ds
>>         pushl %eax
>>         xorl %eax, %eax
>>         pushl %ebp
>>         pushl %edi
>>         pushl %esi
>>         pushl %edx
>>         decl %eax                        # eax = -1
>>         pushl %ecx
>>         pushl %ebx
>>         cld
>>         pushl %es
>>         UNWIND_ESPFIX_STACK
>>         popl %ecx
>>         movl ES(%esp), %edi                # get the function address
>>         movl ORIG_EAX(%esp), %edx        # get the error code
>>         movl %eax, ORIG_EAX(%esp)
>>         movl %ecx, ES(%esp)
>>         movl $(__USER_DS), %ecx
>>         movl %ecx, %ds
>>         movl %ecx, %es
>>         movl %esp,%eax                        # pt_regs pointer
>>         call *%edi
>>         jmp ret_from_exception
>>

>> Aren't we sorting ds in the pt_regs.ES ? and therefore one register out?
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing something?
>

> This code piece does seem to change from version to version,
> but I think it gets the ES register into the proper pt_regs
> location by pushing it here:
>
>  >         pushl %es
>
> and then popping it into %ecx here:
>
>  >         popl %ecx
>
> and then later storing it in the pt_regs here:

Yeah -- that's exactly it, before jumping to error_code,
it pushes the address of the fault handler onto the stack,
essentially into the "pt_regs.xes" location:

 >> ENTRY(page_fault)
 >>         pushl $do_page_fault
 >>         jmp error_code

Then it pushes the remaining pt_regs register values,
but with the pt_regs.xes still needing to be set up.

So then later after the popl of the ES value into %ecx,
it grabs the exception handler address from the pt_regs.xes
location, and puts it into %edi:

 >>         popl %ecx
 >>         movl ES(%esp), %edi                # get the function address

and then puts the ES value from %ecx into the pt_regs location:

 >>         movl %ecx, ES(%esp)

and later calls the handler: