[Crash-utility] x86_64 crash (cross-platform)

Chip Coldwell coldwell at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 20:43:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Cliff Wickman wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> We've recently seen lcrash fail with a floating point exception
> very early in initialization.
> Seems to be a binary compiled under one distribution and then
> executed on another.
>
> And the solution seems to be the -Wl,--hash-style=both option.
>
> Have others reported this?

This isn't specific to crash; it's the result of a change in the
Linux/glibc ABI.  Specifically, the new ABI has a .hash.gnu section
whereas the old one has .hash.  Your linker option above causes both
sections to be included, so that the old dynamic loader can load a
binary built with a new toolchain.

Chip

--
Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell
Senior Software Engineer

GPG ID:  852E052F
GPG FPR: 77E5 2B51 4907 F08A 7E92  DE80 AFA9 9A8F 852E 052F