[Crash-utility] Re: EFBIG with gdb - to you hack gdb to pass O_LARGEFILE in the files open() flags?

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 13:51:47 UTC 2008

Pete/Piet Delaney wrote:

> Hi Dave:
>
> I was wondering why gdb isn't having a problem with the crash file
> being too big when started with crash yet when handing the
> vmcore directly to gdb it gets an error while opening the file EFBIG.

Because the embedded gdb module in crash doesn't have a clue
about dumpfiles.  It's invoked internally simply as "gdb vmlinux"
in order to get the symbol values, debuginfo data, etc.

When you bring up gdb on just a binary executable you can still
issue gdb commands that in turn generate read commands from the
the executable.  But one of the many hacks to the embedded gdb module
is to hijack any read attempts, and pass them back up to the
crash-based module for resolution.