[Crash-utility] question on some command params

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 13:25:56 UTC 2008

Jun Koi wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> wrote:
> ..
>
>>zero_excluded: if a page was excluded by diskdump or makedumpfile,
>> it normally returns a failure if the page is accessed.  If you
>> want it to just return a page of zeroes, use --zero_excluded.
>>

> This option sounds reasonable to me, so why it is not enable by default??

I don't have a pointer to the discussion we had about this
issue a long time ago (you can search the archives), but the
consensus was that the user should be aware if an attempt is
made to read an excluded page.

The whole point behind excluded pages is that no pages that
are crucial to the running of the crash utility should *ever*
be excluded.  And if they do get excluded, then the diskdump
and/or makedumpfile facilities should be fixed.

But if you want to read a page of memory, and not even know
or care whether it's legitimate data, then you can certainly use
the command line argument.  But I don't know why you would want
to?