[Crash-utility] mod -S and debuginfo kernel rpm

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 18:32:39 UTC 2009

----- "Guy Streeter" <streeter at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dave Anderson wrote:
> >
> > In other words, are you suggesting that there would be
> > "./lib" and "./usr" subdirectories in your current directory?
> > Where the base modules would live under "./lib" and the
> > debug modules would live under "./usr"?  (like Michael's setup)
> >
> > That would be best -- it would do-able to just enhance the currently-
> > existing "mod -S [directory]" option to do the right thing automatically
> > when dealing with split dumpfiles.
> >
> > I just want to get everybody on the same page.
> >

> We can set up the directories however we need to. It's automated, so the
> labor involved is not an issue. The result we want is to be able to do
> symbolic debugging in loadable modules when the target kernel and
> debuginfo packages are not "installed" on the system.

Right -- I understand.  I wasn't sure if that automated CAS system you guys
use already did something with the kernel-debuginfo rpm -- but not with the
kernel rpm which contains the stripped modules.  Crash needs them both.

Again, crash searches for the stripped module first, and then looks for the
associated .debug piece either in:

(1) the same directory containing the stripped module, or
(2) the .debug subdirectory in the same directory containing the stripped module, or
(3) by prepending "/usr/lib/debug" onto the directory containing the stripped module

And for the proposed plan to work, option (3) would be used, i.e., where there
would be "parallel" trees rooted from the same target directory.

> It would help also if this would "just work", either because the current
> directory is searched or because crash could be invoked with an option
> or env var that pointed to the location.

I'd prefer to keep the current mechanism in place, where you can
specify a target directory to "mod -S [directory]".

The parallel tree layout would have to be equivalent as is the case when
both the kernel and kernel-debuginfo rpms were installed natively, but with
a directory pre-pended onto the /lib/... and /usr/... directories.  (which
could simply be ".")

So for example, if the target "mod -S [directory]" was specified to be ".",
there would be "./lib/modules" and "./usr/lib/debug/lib/modules" subdirectory
trees.

And then "mod -S [directory]" would just work.

Have I made myself clear?  ;-)

If that's not the case, let me know...

Thanks,