[Crash-utility] Error when running crash utility - crash: read error: kernel virtual address: c1399f10 type: "xtime"

Mani mani2885 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 23:44:15 UTC 2009

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the mail. It helped a lot.

This is what I did:
I installed the latest version of Crash.

The parameters are as assigned:
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x1000000
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_ALIGN=0x400000

So now I ran the command as
crash --readnow --reloc=12m /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.14-main/vmlinux
/var/crash/2009-08-08-23:32/vmcore
and got the output properly.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Mani

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> wrote:

> ----- "Mani" <mani2885 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to analyse the dump created by the kdump utility. This is
> what I did
> > I took 2.6.25.14 vanilla version of kernel and made two copies of the
> > kernel named vmlinuz-2.6.25.14-main (Production kernel) and
> > vmlinuz-2.6.25.14-kdump (Crash kernel) by following the procedure
> > mentioned in the following website
> > http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kdump.html
> >
> > When I run crash utility using the following command
> > crash /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.14-main/vmlinux
> /var/crash/2009-08-08-23:32/vmcore
> >
> > I get the following error
> >
> > crash /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.14-main/vmlinux
> /var/crash/2009-08-08-23:32/vmcore
> >
> > crash 4.0-6.0.5
> > Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Red Hat, Inc.
> > Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006 IBM Corporation
> > Copyright (C) 1999-2006 Hewlett-Packard Co
> > Copyright (C) 2005, 2006 Fujitsu Limited
> > Copyright (C) 2006, 2007 VA Linux Systems Japan K.K.
> > Copyright (C) 2005 NEC Corporation
> > Copyright (C) 1999, 2002, 2007 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
> > Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
> > This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
> > and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
> > certain conditions. Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
> > This program has absolutely no warranty. Enter "help warranty" for
> > details.
> >
> > GNU gdb 6.1
> > Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are
> > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for
> details.
> > This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
> >
> > crash: read error: kernel virtual address: c1399f10 type: "xtime"
> >

> > I checked for the error and found this link which mentions few
> > work-around/fixes for the issue with reading of /dev/mem
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/crash-utility@redhat.com/msg01553.html
>
> Alright -- before even talking about the "xtime" read error above --
> you've gone off into the weeds...
>
> The CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM issue only applies to analyzing the *live* system
> with the crash utility, so it's completely irrelevant to your attempt
> to analyze a kdump vmcore.
>
> And with respect to CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM, you want to *avoid* building
> your kernel with it if you want to look at the live system with crash.
> If you *add* CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM, then you have to work around its
> disabling of the usage of /dev/mem.  One of the ways to do that is
> to try the kretprobe hack.  Other than that, you'd have to port the
> Red Hat "/dev/crash" driver to your kernel for live system analysis.

> [...]

Regards,
Mani