[Crash-utility] crash on ppc docs / pointers

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 18:31:51 UTC 2009

Hi Folks,

I have some experience using crash on x86/x86_64 cores but I'm pretty
new to ppc64. I'm making some headway, but a bit confused by some things.

E.g., I have a function that calls kfree, so when I disassemble it,
I'm expecting to see something like:

bl <address of .kfree>

But instead I find:

0xd000000000bd3b00 bl      0xd000000000bd4120

Where that address lies inside .init_module:

crash> sym 0xd000000000bd4120
d000000000bd4120 (T) .init_module+496

.kfree is somewhere else entirely:
crash> sym .kfree
c0000000000ed0b4 (T) .kfree

I'm pretty certain this is the call to kfree that I'm interested in
(LR points at the next instruction and we oopsed inside kfree).

Is there some sort of indirection here that I'm missing?

Regards,
Bryn.