[Crash-utility] [Patch] ia64 block_size mismatch issue.

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 18:22:39 UTC 2009

----- "Bernhard Walle" <bwalle at suse.de> wrote:

> * Robin Holt [2009-01-09 11:40]:
> >

> > ia64 recently changed the default page size from 16KB to 64KB.  Trying
> > to analyze a dump taken on a 64KB system on a 16KB page system fails.
> > Fix this problem by reallocating and rereading the header when block_size
> > mismatches.
>
> That's only one part of the problem. Your patch doesn't handle ELF
> dumps (netdump.c). There are also other parts that need update. I have
> a more complete patch that was also tested on PPC, too. Dave, should I
> port that patch to the current crash release or don't you want that
> changes in crash?

Robin's patch should be OK for diskdump vmcores, although I wasn't even
aware that the diskdump facility was actively being carried forward into
post-kdump kernels?

Red Hat stopped supporting diskdump when RHEL5 (2.6.18+) was released,
but presuming that RHEL6/ia64 inherits 64k pages, then this patch would
be needed to analyze RHEL3/RHEL4 diskdumps on a RHEL6 host.

But for kdump vmcores, it seems that kdump_page_size() needs to
be made smarter, although I'm not sure where would it get the
page size -- vmcoreinfo?

And FWIW, the default for ia64 xendumps is hardwared to 16k.