[Crash-utility] dev command deteriorates with new kernels

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Jun 8 20:37:40 UTC 2009

----- "Bob Montgomery" <bob.montgomery at hp.com> wrote:

> When I tried the dev command and it bombed at the chrdev stuff before
> getting to the blkdev stuff, I was motivated to get it going enough to
> see if it would help answer my question, but it doesn't print anything
> (like hd_struct pointers) that could help me with my problem.  But I
> figured someone had once wanted that device info, so it might as well
> work...

Re: your quest to find an hd_struct, perhaps the command could be made a
bit more useful in that respect as well.

For character devices, the cdev_map.probes[255] probe structure's
"data" field points to a cdev structure, where the file_operations
pointer is found.

For block devices, the bdev_map.probes[255] probe structure's
"data" field points to a gendisk structure, where the file_operations
pointer is found.  But the gendisk structure also has an embedded
hd_struct, which is presumably what you were looking for?

If that's the case, then maybe the command should display the address
of the cdev or gendisk structures associated with the device?