[Crash-utility] Re: crash 4.0.9 on x86 is crashing

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 15:03:07 UTC 2009

----- "Sumeet Gupta" <meetsumeet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Dave Anderson < anderson at redhat.com >
> wrote:
> ----- "Sumeet Gupta" < meetsumeet at gmail.com > wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It was my mistake.
> >
> > During an earlier debugging, I set verbose=1, misinterpreting it to
> > mean just a few debug prints.
>
> What do you mean by that? Where are you setting "verbose"?
>
> I was talking about the file x86.c, function x86_kvtop, around line
> 2622, where it returns from the function, or not, depending upon
> verbose. If the purpose of verbose in this function is only to have
> more fprintfs, then the behaviour should not change based on this
> argument. I had (to see whats going on in this function,) set the
> verbose flag in it to 1. This caused the recursion in function calls I
> mentioned.

Ah, OK -- now I get it...

Yes -- the purpose of the "verbose" flag in x86_kvtop() is not to just have
more debug fprintfs, but rather it is *only* used when the virtual-to-physical
translation is being requested by the "vtop" command  -- which verbosely
walks through and displays the page table data.

Thanks,