[Crash-utility] dev -p command fails post linux 2.6.25

Sharyathi Nagesh sharyath at in.ibm.com
Fri Apr 23 06:50:15 UTC 2010

Hi Dave
  As you may be aware dev -p command post linux kernel 2.6.25 fails with
"no PCI devices found on this system.". When I went through the kernel
a specific commit has removed pci_devices variable from the kernel code

git commit: 5ff580c10ec06fd296bd23d4570c1a95194094a0
by Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh at suse.de>

This is what he says in the commit
   This patch finally removes the global list of PCI devices.  We are
    relying entirely on the list held in the driver core now, and do not
    need a separate "shadow" list as no one uses it.

I saw some of your earlier postings where you have specifically
mentioned about this problem:
http://www.mail-archive.com/crash-utility@redhat.com/msg00346.html

With this I wanted to know, if you intend to keep dev -p behavior as it
is now or
there is any plan to change it to display actual values?

Thank You
Sharyathi N