[Crash-utility] Crash-utility Digest, Vol 52, Issue 1

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Jan 11 13:41:59 UTC 2010

----- "d00fy" <d00fy at 163.com> wrote:

> > when I analyze the crash dump file(/proc/vmcore), crash utility show
> > me this error message, What does it mean exactly?
> > a bug or configuration error?
> > grub.conf
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23 console=ttyS0,9600 root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet
> > crashkernel=256M at 16M
> >
> > load cmd:
> > /sbin/kexec -p --command-line="root=/dev/sda2 irqpoll maxcpus=1 nousb"
> > --initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.23 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23
> > crash:
> > 4.1.1
> > box:
> > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
> > 4G RAM
>
> > At what point did it happen?
>
> >Dave
>
> I insert a module which would trigger a kernel crash, in this module
> I use request_irq(irq, myinterrupt, ...)to register a irq on the nic,
> and in the function myinterrupt I
> just write something at somewhere (int *p = 00202020; *p = 10), the
> kernel would crash soon , but I cann't open the /proc/vmcore with
> crash utility after warm reboot, the error look like:
> --> crash: invalid kernel virtual address: 5fb001 type:	"pgd page"

Neither the kexec invocation details nor how you made the kernel crash
is of much consequence, but rather I was interested in when the crash
utility itself failed.  In other words, was it during crash invocation,
or perhaps during a particular crash command?  I'm guessing that it's
during invocation since you say it "can't open the /proc/vmcore"?

Anyway, if you still have a copy of the /proc/vmcore file and the relevant
vmlinux, please post the output of "crash -d4 vmlinux vmcore", and perhaps
I can help.  If you rebooted without saving the /proc/vmcore file to disk,
then there's not much I can do.

Thanks,