[Crash-utility] DD image

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 16:52:56 UTC 2011

On 04/13/2011 05:46 PM, Scott Edwards wrote:
> Sound messy, because a live /dev/mem is a moving target. Similar to taking an
> action photo with the shutter open too long. Just keeo this in mind.
>
> Scott.

Think the OP is talking about applications where the crashed kernel is dead and
gone but some embedded hardware support still permits an external debugger
(serial, JTAG or similar I guess?) to read out the content of physical memory.

The result of that is a file that's the equivalent of a dd image of /dev/mem
although it's not taken from the live system by reading /dev/mem from userspace.

Regards,
Bryn.