[Crash-utility] Patching more pseudo section symbols from layouts

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Fri Dec 9 13:49:33 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Hello Dave,
>
> I add more pseudo section symbols which do not own any named symbol like
>  ffffffffa004ccf0 [.rodata.str1.1]: section start
>  ffffffffa004d14a [.rodata.str1.1]: section end
> crash> rd ffffffffa004ccf0 -e ffffffffa004d14a
> This can access section data without symbol.
>
> This patch set way is learned from kernel/module.c layout_sections()
> and probably be possible to integrate existing calculate_load_order_v1/2()
> or add_symbol_file_kallsyms().
> However, I can not confirm many kernel versions or architecrures,
> thus my choice is verifying and updating to installed sections.

What is the problem you're trying to solve here?  That module memory
has been readable both before and after your last patch, and nobody
has ever even brought it up as an issue, and I don't see it as a problem.

> P.S.
>
> I want to make feature in http://grsecurity.net/ PaX linux in crash utility.
> The PaX patch changes module location by separating non contiguous RX/RW areas
> which makes virtual address hole in module, also translates virtual address.
> I tried but crash can not work out yet under PaX linux.
> I'm resolving them with brief/rough way and useful parts are merged into
> crash code, and then posting here.
>
> If you can accept such a non mainline kernel feature in crash utility,
> I would like to keep posting patch set until my whole work has done.

I prefer not to, but it would depends upon how your proposed patch integrates
with the current code.  If it can be reasonably segregated to that it's not
a maintenance burden, I'll consider it.

Dave