[Crash-utility] Crash physical search on live session not recommended :-)

Bob Montgomery bob.montgomery at hp.com
Mon Feb 28 20:54:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 15:18 +0000, Dave Anderson wrote:

> [...]
I'll let you know when I get a chance to test again.  If it fails like
it did before, it will tie up two of us for the 10-minute walk to the
machine room where I don't currently have access :-).

> And does that system use /dev/mem or /dev/crash?
/dev/mem

> It would be interesting to know if a particular physical address caused it,
> or if there are physical pages that are read that are *not* read when an
> unconstrained kernel virtual search is done?

The pages should have been copied to the buffer a page at a time, right?
So the search access pattern within the buffer shouldn't affect how
physical memory was accessed (I was thinking that string search's byte
aligned access might have mattered).   Could the physical search come
up with a page in /dev/mem that wouldn't also be accessed in the
identity-mapped virtual case?

Bob M.