[Crash-utility] How to find core utlility implementation (source code) file in Linux kernel ?

Tipu . tipu_lhr at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:52:13 UTC 2011

Hi VL,

Take a look on http://people.redhat.com/anderson/crash_whitepaper/#SRC_RPM.

Regards,
Tipu

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 00:35:01 +0530
From: vlc.chowdary at gmail.com
To: crash-utility at redhat.com
Subject: [Crash-utility] How to find core utlility implementation (source code) file in Linux kernel ?

Hi,
This is VL Chowdary, a software engineer in Bangalore,India.I am currently working on a project that deals with "Creation of Postmortem data log file on Linux platform".
The project is on Fedora 12 with Kernel2.6.31.5 version. For that i need following things.
       1. Find the location of core utility in the kernel.       2. Find  the source file that consists of actual implementation of the core utility (On Fedora's kernel 2.6.31.5)
       3. Based on that i want to implement a core file with my own project requirements.       4. Build the kernel with the above implemented corefile replacing the existing one.
                                                                              I went through many documents and they were saying that core file generated location is in :              /proc/sys/kernel.
                              Is it correct?. I couldn't get the source file that contains the implementation of core utility.
Please help in the project for further proceedings. Advance thanks to all repliers.

Thank you,vlc