[Crash-utility] [Patch 1/4][kernel][slimdump] Add new elf-note of type NT_NOCOREDUMP to capture slimdump

K.Prasad prasad at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 7 16:12:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 11:25:37AM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 12:48:44PM +0530, K.Prasad wrote:

> > > Prasad,
> > >
> > > I am just trying to remember what was wrong with Andi's approach of
> > > disable MCE while copying the dump?
> > >

> > Hi Vivek,
> > 	The behaviour upon a read operation on an UC memory location is
> > undefined and so we want to avoid it (previously discussed here:
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1146799).
>
> > When we disable MCE and copy the dump, we will invariably read the faulty
> > memory location.
>
> And how that is worse then not capturing a dump at all? Anyway, you said
> that in case of MCE vmcore is of no use and we don't want to capture it.

The problem, as pointed out by Borislav Petkov in a different mail, is that
we might end up capturing a vmcore containing corrupted data when the
same is not required for analysing the cause of the crash.

Of course, all this is assuming that reading the faulty memory with MCE
disabled is harmless. However, the effect of a read operation in this
case is undefined.

Thanks,
K.Prasad