[Crash-utility] [crash] Analysing vmcore for a target with different endian-ness

Suzuki Poulose suzuki at in.ibm.com
Tue Oct 11 03:46:13 UTC 2011

Hi Dave,

I am working on enabling Kdump/crash support for PPC440x based chipsets.

PPC44x is a family of embedded powerpc processors(BookE).

Now to analyse the vmcore generated on those boards, one would want to
run crash on his or her development machine, which is usually an x86 box.

I started with this, but ended up in a problem with the endian-ness of the
host and target. As of now this is not supported in crash.

I did start looking at the code, trying to understand how we read the data.
But before I jump in further I thought I would check if this is something
that has been tried in the past ? Or something that is not feasible ?
(We need to know the type of the data being read to convert the data)

Please let me know your thoughts / inputs.

Thanks
Suzuki