[Crash-utility] After feedback on crash patch

Seymour, Shane M shane.seymour at hp.com
Tue Apr 24 05:58:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'd like to get crash changed to add a new option to the mod command in crash. If you've got a dump server and you've got debuginfo RPMs extracted for pretty much every RHEL/SLES release you can create a symlink in the same directory as the vmcore pointing to the correct namelist, for example:

vmlinux -> /debuginfo/x86_64/rhel5/2.6.18-164/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5/vmlinux

I'd like to see the mod command automatically work out where the debug modules will be based upon the result of realpath(3) on the namelist then removing everything after /usr/lib/debug. I know that there's the "--mod directory" option but you've got to remember to run it all the time and if you've extracted the kernel debuginfo crash can easily work out where they are if you use either a full or relative path or symlink to the namelist. I don't know if anyone would prefer to see it implemented in a different way but rather than risk breaking something I didn't understand I added a new -t option instead (-t because it's similar to -S and t is the next available option after the letter s).

I've run it on a few dumps and it seems to be working correctly. All of the code changes are in kernel.c, help.c needed some changes just to add the help text. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shane