[Crash-utility] ARM w/40-bit physical address space and ARM64

Mika Westerberg mika.westerberg at iki.fi
Wed Aug 8 16:42:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 09:00:46AM -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:

> I don't of the existence of any vmcores.  Do you know off-hand if kdump
> would work, or whether it's currently possible that a 40-bit PAE kernel can
> kexec itself?

IIRC the address space extension wasn't that complex change and I would expect
that the kexec works out of the box. It is different with 64-bit ARM which is
regarded as a completely different arch (last time I checked) in the Linux
kernel world.

> Typically in the past with new arches I have always got crash working on the
> live system first.

Good to know. I started the ARM port only when the kernel kexec/kdump support
was working and only added the live dump support in the last minute before we
submitted the ARM patches to you :)