[Crash-utility] bt: cannot determine starting stack pointer

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Feb 14 20:39:50 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> > But what kind of dumpfile was this anyway?  I'm wondering why you aren't
> > getting any stack traces at all for the active tasks?
>
> CFS (Cluster File System aka Lustre) appliance.  As for why, I don't exactly know.
> I'd have to fetch crash sources and see that is going on where that message
> gets emitted.

No, I meant what was the dumpfile format, i.e., was it an ELF kdump,
compressed-kdump, Xen dump, kvmdump, etc?

The error message is from here, where the starting stack pointer
could not be determined, or was an address that is not accessible
for some reason:

        if (!(bt->flags & BT_USER_SPACE) && (!rsp || !accessible(rsp))) {
                error(INFO, "cannot determine starting stack pointer\n");
                if (KVMDUMP_DUMPFILE())
                        kvmdump_display_regs(bt->tc->processor, ofp);
                else if (ELF_NOTES_VALID() && DISKDUMP_DUMPFILE())
                        diskdump_display_regs(bt->tc->processor, ofp);
                else if (SADUMP_DUMPFILE())
                        sadump_display_regs(bt->tc->processor, ofp);
                return;
        }