[Crash-utility] crash endlessly looping on stdout error

Guy Streeter streeter at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 19:34:46 UTC 2012

We have a recurring problem in our crash analysis system, where remote users
get disconnected and crash starts endlessly looping trying to write to stdout.
An strace of a recent instance is looping on:

write(1, "  JIFFIES\n", 10)             = -1 EIO (Input/output error)

but that isn't always the output string.

this is a problem in out shared environment because the orphaned crash tasks
eat up the CPUs, and we don't have the privilege to kill each others tasks.

thanks,
--Guy