[Crash-utility] Kernel Crash Analysis on Android

Shankar, AmarX amarx.shankar at intel.com
Thu Mar 22 04:02:23 UTC 2012

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your info regarding kexec tool.

I am unable to download kexec from below link.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/horms/kexec-tools/kexec-tools.tar.gz

It says HTTP 404 Page Not Found.

Could you please guide me on this?

Thanks & Regards,
Amar Shankar

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 06:00:00PM +0000, Shankar, AmarX wrote:
>
> > I want to do kernel crash Analysis on Android Merrifield Target.
> >
> > Could someone please help me how to do it?
>
> Merrifield is pretty much similar than Medfield, e.g it has x86 core. So I
> guess you can follow the instructions how to setup kdump on x86 (see
> Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt) unless you already have that configured.
>
> crash should support this directly presuming you have vmlinux/vmcore files to
> feed it. You can configure crash to support x86 on x86_64 host by running:
>
> % make target=X86
> & make
>
> (or something along those lines).

Right -- just the first make command will suffice, i.e., when running
on an x86_64 host:

$ wget http://people.redhat.com/anderson/crash-6.0.4.tar.gz
$ tar xzf crash-6.0.4.tar.gz
$ cd crash-6.0.4
$ make target=X86
$ ./crash <path-to>/vmlinux <path-to>/vmcore

Dave