[Crash-utility] GCORE: add directly show backtrace function in crash

Lei Wen adrian.wenl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 07:36:47 UTC 2012

Hi Daisuke,

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM, HATAYAMA Daisuke <d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
> wrote:

> From: Lei Wen <adrian.wenl at gmail.com>
> Subject: GCORE: add directly show backtrace function in crash
> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:21:49 +0800
>
> > Hi Daisuke,
> >
> > I create a new option "-tT" for gcore, so that it could display bt for
> user
> > space
> > directly inside crash itself, without needing to dump a separated core
> file
> > image,
> > and analyze it in a different gdb env.
> >
> > The attached patch is directly based on below patch, and verify over ARM
> > platform.
> > http://osdir.com/ml/general/2012-10/msg32677.html
> >
> > Before use the corresponding gcore command, we need set env in crash by:
> >
> > crash>> gdb set solib-search-path [system lib path]
> >
> > crash>> gdb file   [user space program symbol file]
> >
> > crash>> gcore -t [user space thread id]
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lei
>
> Hello Lei,
>
> That must be a useful feature, but I think it's very othogonal to
> gcore command...
>
> Why not releasing your own extension module separately to gcore?

I put this function in gcore, is for gcore already provide the function to
get
the general register for user space thread. If add another module, that
part of function seems a little duplicated...

Also provide the gcore the capability to either dump into a core file
or directly display, user may have more choice over this. :)

Thanks,
Lei