[dm-devel] DM Multipath Plugin

Joe Thornber thornber at sistina.com
Thu May 29 02:28:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:45:58PM -0400, Mike Tran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any work being done or considered for a DM mulitpath plugin?
> If yes, is it going to be an open source plugin?
>
> I think it's quite easy to implement a DM mulitpath plugin with some
> basic functionality, such as load balacing and fail over.

We do have a draft of such a target.  Our main concern with it at the
moment is that the lower level device drivers re-try too much when
there is an error, this can result in it taking as long as 30 seconds
for us to notice that a path has gone down and subsequently failover.
Load balancing does appear to work nicely.  This target will be open
source.

- Joe