[dm-devel] 2.4 kernel patches: dm-daemon.c & spin_lock_irq

Brian brian at photoresearchers.com
Mon Apr 5 16:15:43 UTC 2004

When trying to compile the RedHat-distributed 2.4.21 kernel with the
device-mapper patches, I get the following compile error:
dm-daemon.c: In function `daemon':
dm-daemon.c:LN: structure has no member named `sigmask_lock'

The patched code (drivers/md/dm-daemon.c) contains the following:
   spin_unlock_irq(&current->sigmask_lock);

I think this might be somehow mismatched to some of the changes made to
the RedHat kernel, but I'm not very good at tracking these down.  Fixes
for unrelated products all seem to involve changing the structure
reference to either "current->sig->siglock" or
"current->sighand->siglock".  I'm tempted to try patching dm-daemon.c
and recompiling to see if this solves the problem, but I don't like
shooting in the dark since they may be other compatibility problems that
I'm not addressing -- e.g. run-time errors that I won't discover until
later.

I can't seem to find anything related to this in the archives, but I'd
appreciate it if anyone has stumbled across this problem or knows
anything about it and can point me in the right direction (understanding
of the problem, patches, whatever).

Thanks,

Brian