[dm-devel] Backing up the snapshot volume...

Manu Tayal manut at mindtree.com
Mon Aug 2 06:31:29 UTC 2004

Hi,
I have created a snapshot using EVMS. I was able to mount the same. I want to
take a block level backup of the snapshot volume i.e. I want to create a new
device and dump the snapshot volume onto it. I tried doing so by:
	dd if=<snapshot device> of=<Newly created partition say, /dev/hdb2>
bs=1024

But this gave me a bunch of errors:

	end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40 (hdb), sector 22423
	hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
	hdb: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=22425,
sector=22425

This kept repeating for a lot of sector numbers.
After this I was able to mount /dev/hdb2 onto a directory and mount gave me
the following warning:

	EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended

On running e2fsck on the volume I got the following error:
	e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
	e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
/dev/hdb2

	filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
	filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the
superblock
	is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:
	    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Am I missing something in taking a backup of the snapshot volume. How else
can I accomplish the block/sector level backup of the snapshot volume?

Regards,
Manu.

DISCLAIMER:
This message (including attachment if any) is confidential and may be privileged. Before opening attachments please check them for viruses and defects. MindTree Consulting Private Limited (MindTree) will not be responsible for any viruses or defects or any forwarded attachments emanating either from within MindTree or outside. If you have received this message by mistake please notify the sender by return  e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.  Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change and MindTree shall not be liable for any improper, untimely or incomplete transmission.