Re: [dm-devel] Multipath Doc

Thanks for reading :)

Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
Christophe,

the test io interval has been recently removed from dm in favour of
user space path revalidation (of course that needs precautions, eg mlockall())
in the application.

Thanks for noting. I will update the doc, but I need a bit more info :
Have you a prototype at hand ? Do you expect storage HW vendor will provide their own path revalidation primitives ? ... Have you message you want to pass to the HW vendors in this doc ?

Are you aiming at replacing the partitioning code in Linux altogether by running
kpartx in the early boot environment, setting up respective mapped devices ?

M Viro told me nearly 2 years back that it was doable but a little early. In the interim, the two partitioning scheme can co-exist : keep in-kernel partitions for legacy disks, but use DM/kpartx for any new type of disk that would otherwise require kernel code to handle parts : md, loop, ataraid, ...

regards,
cvaroqui