[dm-devel] [RFC] Message ioctl direct to device

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Jul 9 18:58:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 01:35:41PM -0400, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Alasdair did mention that he'd be interested in seeing the whole ioctl
> interface available through either the control device or directly to
> the virtual device.  That would be a rather more elaborate patch than
> the 100 liner I just posted, but I'll have a look at it if everybody
> thinks it's worth doing.

No.  We are all hard-pressed for time and there are several more
important device-mapper things that need doing. It would only serve to
distract you further away from working on the main project you've been
assigned.

Nothing here has changed my view expressed several weeks back that
DM_TARGET_MSG will do what you need, possibly amended to split
the input argc/argv-style.

So please use DM_TARGET_MSG for now.

I've listened to your comments about the ioctls, but I won't accept
further changes to the dm-ioctl interface until we've worked out how
we're solving the multipath issues.  [The OLS multipath BOF is the
target for getting this done.]  I don't want to see dm-ioctl turn into
an incoherent mass of single-application ioctls.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com