[dm-devel] installing DM on RHES3 on x86_64

Sebastien Boving seb at d2.com
Tue Jun 15 00:38:50 UTC 2004

Hi,

I want to take a look at EVMS for the storage side of a fail-over
cluster project.  The OS is RHES 3.0 running on SMP x86_64's.

I downloaded the latest dm package from RH themselves, yet seem to be
unable to apply the patchset to the vanilla RHES3 2.4.21EL-smp kernel.
It seems that most of this is already in the kernel, or some previous
versions of it, yet the device-mapper option does not figure in the 'make
menuconfig' or 'make config' (not in mm/Config).  Yet the rh-provided
configs in the configs/ directory seem to reference it:

[...]
#
# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
#
CONFIG_MD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=y
CONFIG_MD_LINEAR=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID5=m
CONFIG_MD_MULTIPATH=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LVM=m
CONFIG_LVM_PROC_FS=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM is not set
[...]

if i apply the patches, most fail or say they have already been applied.
The option does appear from that point on in 'make menuconfig' but the
kernel fails to compile again.

Either this is supported in 3.0 (i would think it is with RH being behind
DM) and it should be documented (where?), or it's not and there must be
some trick to do it ;))).

Anyone went through this before?  To complicate matters, this is a x86_64
box, probably not related but thought i should mention is.

thanks,
-seb.