[dm-devel] dmsetup target parameters

Ling Hwa Hing hwahing at nasioncom.net
Wed May 19 08:20:21 UTC 2004

hi,
I've got problem to use dmsetup. i read the documentation provided from http://christophe.varoqui.free.fr/multipath.html, man dmsetup, intro and some of the doc from google and the comments from the source code (can't understand the code)
I still dont really understand how this low level settings can effect to the multipath setup.

I'm able to create a few device without using the table file. but dont know how to use it.
dmsetup -j 8 -m 0 create impstor1 -u [uuid from uuidgen] --notable
the device node is store at the /dev/mapper/

i got no idea where to enter this entry like what describe in the website.

0 35258368 linear 8:48 65920 (I do not know where to get the target parameters)
35258368 35258368 linear 8:32 65920
70516736 17694720 linear 8:16 17694976
88211456 17694720 linear 8:16 256

Here is an example of a multipath target :
0 27262976 multipath 2 round-robin 2 0 /dev/sda /dev/sdk round-robin 2 0 /dev/sdc /dev/sdm

I'm using emulex driver for lp8000 its connect to compaq san. 2 lp8000 installed.
the box see 4 scsi drive sdc,sdd,sde,sdf. i can only use it as a md device. with raidtab.

i read the doc for many many times. sigh... i really dont know where to start. and where to stop.

sorry for bugging you guys again. i feel like wanna bang my head to the wall.

regards
hwahing

--
my eyes balls is painfull, need to go for checkup.