[dm-devel] device-mapper CVS checkout for 29 November

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Nov 30 23:01:47 UTC 2004

Hi, gang.

I updated our experimental hamster FC3 machines via yum to the latest
patches and kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3.  I then did a CVS checkout of the
cluster code and did a rebuild of our GFS system against the
2.6.9-1.681_FC3 source tree.

When I did the "make" on the device-mapper, there was an issue with the
fact that the kernel header for dm-ioctl.h and that in the device-mapper
code didn't match, nor was there a patch for it.  The compiler pooped
saying there you can't "sizeof" an incomplete data type...in this case
dm_target_msg.

Investigating, I found that the kernel header didn't contain a
definition of the dm_target_msg structure (hence the compiler barf) and
there were differences in the commands enum as well.

I copied the dm-ioctl.h from the CVS device-mapper fileset to the kernel
headers and everything went fine.  I did not rebuild the kernel after
copying the file, but so far it all works.  Should it poop out, I'll
rebuild the kernel with that new header.

Just thought you'd like to know.
-    Overweight:  When you step on your dog's tail...and it dies.    -