[dm-devel] Relationship between Device Mapper and LVM2

Vivek Shrivastava viveks at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 1 07:11:51 UTC 2005

Dear Sir,
        We are trying to do some work on LVM2, by trying to make it more
dynamic and suitable for virtual machines. We have a very fundamental
doubt as follows:

Is LVM2 based on top of "device mapper" and uses "device mapper" as the
underlying layer of support for writing /reading on the disk. Or Device
mapper is placed between the kernel and the LVM2. Aslo if possible
please tell us the entry point of kernel into the device mapper.

Any suggestions on this topic will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vivek