[dm-devel] multipathd.init

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Sun Apr 10 19:22:00 UTC 2005

On 2005-04-01T22:19:02, Alasdair G Kergon <agk at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:09:04PM +0200, christophe varoqui wrote:
> > Do we really want to do complicated things to close that window ? I
> > would guess not.
>
> In other words, if the paths can't survive the window between initrd
> running and init scripts completing, the machine doesn't deserve to boot.
>
> And if you want the daemon in single-user mode, you can start it by hand.
>
> Fair point.
>
> So is there ever a requirement to run the daemon while /var is read-only?

We ran into the same problem, and just decided to invoke /sbin/multipath
once during the boot/ sequence, and then start the daemon in the
runlevel itself.

Note that LSB apparently also suggests that no unneeded daemons are
running in single-user mode; but I couldn't find that detailed anywhere
else.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--