[dm-devel] New -udm?

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Mon Apr 11 11:43:09 UTC 2005

On 2005-04-11T02:27:11, Mike Christie <mikenc at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> what is wrong with what you have now where you utilize the queue/path's
> mempool by doing a blk_get_request with GFP_WAIT?

... what if it's trying to free memory by going to swap on multipath,
and can't, because we're blocked on getting the request with
GFP_WAIT...?

Your patch helps, because it means we need less memory.

But, ultimately, we ought to preallocate the requests already when the
hw-handler is initialized for a map (because presumably at that time
we'll have enough memory, or can just fail the table setup). From that
point on, our memory useage should not grow.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering