Re: [dm-devel] multipath-tools-0.4.4 on 3par unknown path failure issue

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 05:49:40PM -0400, Alan Kasindorf wrote:
> Hey,
> At some random point in time today, one of the machines lost one of its
> four 3par mounts. All other mounts worked fine. This has happened once
> or twice before as well, but we rebooted before I had time to inspect
> the issue.
> Is this known at all? Is there anything else I can provide so that we
> can figure out why this happened? I had been running multipath tools for
> two months on a test box and never encounterred this problem. It's only
> snuck up as we've started deploying it on more machines for
I've had problems like this happen to me on 3par too.  What kernel version
are you using?  It almost always happened when the SAN got a RSCN (using
when another server was rebooted) I found that, at least in kernel,
that if I changed the line

bio->bi_rw != (1 << BIO_RW_FAILFAST); to
bio->bi_rw != (0 << BIO_RW_FAILFAST);

in drivers/md/dm_mpath.c

the problem went away.  Now, in the newest kernels, after there was a big
change to the qla drivers (2.6.12-rc? and beyond, I believe) I did not need
to do the above change, but I now get aborts sometimes (these aborts
apparently come from the qlogic card).  The aborts recover, but I have been
unable to determine why I am getting them.