[dm-devel] Question about Multibus+Failover

Josef Whiter jwhiter at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 21:10:50 UTC 2005

Christophe Varoqui wrote:

>On mar, 2005-12-06 at 15:37 -0500, Josef Whiter wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I've had several requests about loadbalancing coupled with failover for
>>dm multipathing.  I know with failover you get just failover, and
>>multibus you get just load balancing, but I was wondering if there was a
>>hybrid option for load balancing that would handle a failed path
>>gracefully.  Thanks much,
>>

>Failed paths are handled quite gracefully in all grouping policies.
>
>That said, other stock grouping policies are at your disposal :
>group_by_serial or group_by_node_name or the special group_by_prio that
>let you do your own grouping policy with callouts (shell scripts or
>whatever).
>
>Please have a look at the documentation available.
>
>Regards,
>cvaroqui

Hmm, then perhaps I've been seeing errant behavior, b/c everytime
somebody uses multibus and they fail a path they get a bunch of IO
errors and the FS is remounted, but if they use failover and pull the
active connection, there are no errors and the failover is seamless.  I
shall investigate further on what they are seeing.  Thank you,

Josef

--
Josef Whiter, RHCE
Global Support Services