[dm-devel] How to take snapshots of xfs filesystems?

Joerg Sommrey jo175 at sommrey.de
Tue Jan 4 22:31:16 UTC 2005

Hello,

xfs docs suggest to use xfs_freeze before taking a snapshot of
a xfs filesystem.  However, if I try to create an LVM snapshot of a
frozen xfs filesystem, lvcreate gets stuck in the kernel (ps shows a
state of "D").  lvcreate returns as soon as the xfs filesystem is
unfrozen (and leaves a _usable_ snapshot).  What's wrong here?  Using
"xfs_freeze -f; lvcreate -s& sleep; xfs_freeze -u; wait; mount snapshot;
do_backup" seems a bit too adventurous to me.  What I do instead is
"lvcreate -s; mount -o ro snapshot; do_backup".  But I'm not sure if
this is "the right thing" to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-jo

--
-rw-r--r--  1 jo users 63 2005-01-04 22:50 /home/jo/.signature