[dm-devel] mirroring: [patch 5 of 6] device failure tolerance

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 18:10:04 UTC 2005

On Jun 30, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:38:28AM -0500, Kevin Corry wrote:
>> Any time a target's table-format or status-format changes, we also
>> need to
>> increment that target's version number so user-space can figure out
>> which
>> format to expect.
>
> Indeed, but I don't want version numbers updating till we know what
> sequence things will go upstream.
>
> BTW I've not seen a justification for breaking the existing format here
> yet as opposed to simply appending new data to the end of the status
> line.

mirror_status first calls the log status function and then adds on to
that.  If we want to do what you are proposing, we would move the log
status function _after_ the DMEMIT's for mirror and it would only print
out a char for each log device indicating status.  We would have to
remember that STATUSTYPE_INFO and STATUSTYPE_TABLE would call the log
status function at different place (one after it's own DMEMITs, the
other before).

  brassow