Re: [dm-devel] mirroring: [patch 5 of 6] device failure tolerance

On Jun 30, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:38:28AM -0500, Kevin Corry wrote:
Any time a target's table-format or status-format changes, we also need to
increment that target's version number so user-space can figure out which
format to expect.

Indeed, but I don't want version numbers updating till we know what sequence things will go upstream.

BTW I've not seen a justification for breaking the existing format here
yet as opposed to simply appending new data to the end of the status line.

mirror_status first calls the log status function and then adds on to that. If we want to do what you are proposing, we would move the log status function _after_ the DMEMIT's for mirror and it would only print out a char for each log device indicating status. We would have to remember that STATUSTYPE_INFO and STATUSTYPE_TABLE would call the log status function at different place (one after it's own DMEMITs, the other before).

 brassow