[dm-devel] Re: patch to enable creating device attributes before exporting hotpl ug/uevent for device kobject

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 03:08:53PM -0500, goggin, edward wrote:
> In order to guarantee visibility through Sysfs of device attributes for
> uevent/hotplug handlers, I've changed drivers/base/core.c:device_add
> from calling kobject_register() before adding attributes to the device
> kobject to instead
> 	(1) call kobject_add(),
> 	(2) add the device attributes to the device kobject, and
> 	(3) call kobject_hotplug() to export the kobject ONLY AFTER the
> attributes
> 	are added to the device object.
> Also, changed scsi_sysfs_add_sdev() to follow this new sequence for creating
> scsi device objects.

Ick.  First a few general comments on procedure:
  - please CC: linux-hotplug devel, or linux-kernel with core stuff like
  - your patch was line-wrapped, and could not be applied :(
  - No Signed-off-by: line as per the rules specified in

Ok, now, what exactly are you trying to solve here?  With 2.6.14 and
udev handling the hotplug control, you should not see any need for a
change like this.

greg k-h