[dm-devel] Re: patch to enable creating device attributes before exporting hotpl ug/uevent for device kobject

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Nov 10 22:38:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 03:08:53PM -0500, goggin, edward wrote:
> In order to guarantee visibility through Sysfs of device attributes for
> uevent/hotplug handlers, I've changed drivers/base/core.c:device_add
> from calling kobject_register() before adding attributes to the device
> kobject to instead
>
> 	(1) call kobject_add(),
>
> 	(2) add the device attributes to the device kobject, and
>
> 	(3) call kobject_hotplug() to export the kobject ONLY AFTER the
> attributes
> 	are added to the device object.
>
> Also, changed scsi_sysfs_add_sdev() to follow this new sequence for creating
> scsi device objects.

Ick.  First a few general comments on procedure:
  - please CC: linux-hotplug devel, or linux-kernel with core stuff like
    this.
  - your patch was line-wrapped, and could not be applied :(
  - No Signed-off-by: line as per the rules specified in
    Documentation/SubmittingPatches.

Ok, now, what exactly are you trying to solve here?  With 2.6.14 and
udev handling the hotplug control, you should not see any need for a
change like this.

thanks,

greg k-h