[dm-devel] Multipathing with RHEL4 U2 on EMC DMX

Child, David David.Child at ps.net
Mon Feb 13 16:53:53 UTC 2006

A quick update; I noticed that the string I was using to create the
multipath device was actually for a failover setup, not multibus. I had
been using:

   # echo "0 141419520 multipath 0 0 2 1 round-robin 0 1 1 8:48 1000
round-robin 0 1 1 8:176 1000" | dmsetup create dm2

>From what I can see on Christophe's wiki it should have been the
following to get a multibus configuration:

   # echo "0 141419520 multipath 0 0 1 1 round-robin 0 2 1 8:48 1000
8:176 1000" | dmsetup create dm2

The output of 'multipath -l' for this device now appears as;

   dm2 ()
   [size=67 GB][features="0"][hwhandler="0"]
   \_ round-robin 0 [enabled]
    \_ 0:0:0:6  sdd 8:48  [active][ready]
    \_ 1:0:0:6  sdl 8:176 [active][ready]

I'm not sure if this will fix any of my issues (primarily the LUN
dropping off), but wanted to send in this update since my original post
had mentioned that I had been thinking about using "failover" instead of
"multibus". In reality I was using "failover". I'll see how it goes with
my multibus setup, but I'm still curious how you get the settings in
/etc/multipath to work. I tried changing the values under the "defaults"
section for 'scsi_id' as seen below, but it still keeps using the same
command as before.

Update: Setting this device for 'multibus' (as listed above) seemed to
make matters worse. Quickly after running any I/O over the multipath
device knocked it offline. I put it back to my original setup (using the
first string I listed) and was able to write quite a bit of data to the
device before it was knocked offline.

Thanks,
David

David Child