[dm-devel] Multipathing with RHEL4 U2 on EMC DMX

egoggin at emc.com egoggin at emc.com
Thu Feb 16 22:05:19 UTC 2006

on Thursday, February 16, 2006 4:09 PM Child, David wrote:

> 3. At this point auto-discovery of the paths worked, but my
> device files
> were called things like: SEMC_____SYMMETRIX______790367051000. That
> didn't look useful so I added the following to /etc/multipath.conf;
> 	multipaths {
> 		multipath {
> 			wwid
> SEMC_____SYMMETRIX______790367051000
> 			alias                   sym051mp
> 		}
> 		<repeat for each LUN>
> 	}

The upstream version of scsi_id kept within udev is changed to support
retrieving a device UID from older model (4, 5, and 6) Symmetrix storage
arrays via the new scsi_id option "pre-spc3-83".  Red Hat may have a version
of the udev RPM for update 2 with this change.

Setting up the Symmetrix device entry in /etc/multipath.conf to also use
this option "-ppre-spc3-83" will cause dm multipath to generate mapped
device names for Symmetrix logical units which do not have the vendor/model
prefix.

Both of these changes are in SuSE SLES 9 SP3 and it works as stated above.