[dm-devel] Problem with Multipath (devices not ready)

Bernd Zeimetz bernd at bzed.de
Fri Feb 17 19:00:32 UTC 2006

Hi,
>     I've tried: update OS, update drivers, update multipath, re-configurate
> multipath...

did you update to multipath >= 0.4.6 ?

>     What do you think I should try now ?

Probably I've missed it - but how do you access the CX? Via a switch?
direct? How many HBAs do you use? Are they all allowed to connect to the
machine?

Did you try it without any multipath.conf at all? The defaults in 0.4.6
work well.

> LUN_TESTES (360060160256014006adcbf64a644da11)
>
> [size=458 GB][features="0"][hwhandler="0"]
>
> \_ round-robin 0 [active]
>
>  \_ 3:0:0:0 sdc 8:32 [failed][faulty]
>
>  \_ 3:0:1:0 sdd 8:48 [failed][faulty]
>
>  \_ 3:0:2:0 sde 8:64 [active][ready]
>
>  \_ 3:0:3:0 sdf 8:80 [active][ready]

although sdc and sdd are faulty you should be able to access the LUN -
you have 2 active and ready paths to it. Look for LUN_TESTES in your
/dev directory.

Do you have the right udev rules for multipath? As all distros do handle
this on a different way - which distro and udev version are you using?

Make sure dm events are not discarded.
On debian sarge for example you ahve to change this in udev.rules:

#KERNEL="dm-[0-9]*",    OPTIONS="ignore_device"
KERNEL="dm-[0-9]*", PROGRAM="/sbin/devmap_name %M %m", NAME="%k",
SYMLINK="%c"

Are the multipath rules for udev installed? Do you have any errors from
udev in your log?

I hope I could give you some more hints.

Best regards,

Bernd