[dm-devel] Hard drives shutting themselves off in RAID mode

Rune Saetre rune.saetre at netcom-gsm.no
Sun Jun 18 13:45:36 UTC 2006

Hi

> Arno Wagner:
>> If you can test it with reasonable effort and cost (e.g. put some of
>> them on another PSU), you might want to do that.
>
> Is that safe?

Don't know how safe it is to use different PSU's, but I have done it with
success several times on old hardware used for testing. I can't think of
any reason you should run into trouble if ground is common, and the disks
are powered up first.

> Another way could be to use a meter to gauge how much power it drains.

You better use an oscilloscope if anything, as you are looking for very
short transients. I have heard (but never tested) that the disks pull
large currents when moving the heads, but with seek times of some
milliseconds you wouldn't even see it on a regular amperemeter.

Rune

---
Rune Sætre <rune.saetre at netcom-gsm.no>
NetCom as