Re: [dm-devel] [RFC] New interface for dm-io to handle timed requests

Stefan Bader wrote:
Some days ago we proposed an extension to the device mapper that allows to specify a timeout after which a given request should return as successful, even if some of the target devices did not react by that time. As we cannot return a request to the upper layers as long as some io is still running and possibly modifying referenced pages, we also need a way to handle those requests. The ideal solution would be to have an interface in the block layer that allows us to cancel any submitted requests. But since such a change will take quite a lot discussions and work, we want to emulate such a behavior in the dm core for now.

The scsi people and some block people have been talking about moving more error handling functionality into the block layer for a while and it is slowing moving that way. It could probably be done faster if people did not concentrate on one subsystem :)

Maybe you should post to lkml and linux-scsi and get some responses from them before adding it to dm core. If a post already went out to those list my fault for missing it.