[dm-devel] MPIO origins

Stepan, Troy troy.stepan at unisys.com
Mon May 1 16:26:30 UTC 2006

>From my recent findings, it looks like the MPIO project in the dm layer
has come a long way towards making Linux an enterprise-class OS.
Lately, I've been curious in regards to the roots of the MPIO project as
an alternative to the costly and sometimes buggy EMC Powerpath.  Can
anyone shed some light on the following questions?

When this project started, what were the goals?  Since there are so many
places where an IO can fail, were specific IO errors targeted or was
development limited to IO errors caused only by physical path loss?  Was
there a specific reliability target (i.e. - twice as reliable as a
single path to IO target)?  Also--this is a more general question--where
are all the places an IO can fail in Linux?

I look forward to learning more about this project.  Thanks in advance
for any replies!

--Troy