[dm-devel] DS4400 Strangeness

Not sure if this is a RHEL5 issue, or a DS4000 issue, or what...

Basically, I have a bladecenter booting from a DS4000 SAN. I've muddled by through RHEL3 & RHEL4 with the qlogic drivers half working, but with RHEL 5 thing pretty much seem to work out of the box when installing with the mpath install-time argument.

After the install, I comment out the blacklist line in multipath.conf and thing look the way I'd expect for an active/passive array:
[root gimli ~]# multipath -l
mpath0 () dm-0 IBM,1742
[size=8.0G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:0:0 sda 8:0   [active][undef]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 1:0:0:0 sdb 8:16  [active][undef]

At this point things seem to work properly, and while the paths may not be the preferred paths, I can wait until RHEL 5.1 for the RDAC support that's been added to the multipath tools (I've been told a kernel patch is also required, or I would just upgrade the tools myself).

However, I then attempted to install the first RHEL5 errata kernel, and during the upgrade, the paths failed and the filesystem was labeled read-only. The kernel install finished, but after the reboot I have a bit of a mess. Notably, during boot the following errors are displayed:

Cannot open bindings file [/var/lib/multipath/bindings] : Read-only file system
/dev/sda2: open failed: No such device or address
Found duplicate PV  using /dev/dm-7 not /dev/mapper/mpath0p2

And the multipath output is a mess as well (though better after a -F run):

[root gimli ~]# multipath -l
mpath0 () dm-0 IBM,1742
[size=8.0G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:0:0 sda 8:0   [active][undef]
\_ 1:0:0:0 sdb 8:16  [active][undef]
3600a0b80000f82ce0000006241e539ccdm-5 IBM,1742
[size=8.0G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:0:0 sda 8:0   [active][undef]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 1:0:0:0 sdb 8:16  [active][undef]

[root gimli ~]# multipath -F
mpath0: map in use

[root gimli ~]# multipath -l
mpath0 () dm-0 IBM,1742
[size=8.0G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:0:0 sda 8:0   [active][undef]
\_ 1:0:0:0 sdb 8:16  [active][undef]

Rebooting to the original kernel has no effect, and this process is reproducible (I've done about 3 clean installs). My only guess is that it has something to do with mkinitrd not taking into account the multipathing the same way RHEL5 anaconda does. But that doesn't explain to me why the old kernel doesn't work, nor why the paths fail during the kernel upgrade.

Any guesses/insights/suggestions?

Thanks
Dana