[dm-devel] DS4400 Strangeness

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Mon Apr 9 19:26:19 UTC 2007

Not sure if this is a RHEL5 issue, or a DS4000 issue, or what...

Basically, I have a bladecenter booting from a DS4000 SAN.  I've muddled
by through RHEL3 & RHEL4 with the qlogic drivers half working, but with
RHEL 5 thing pretty much seem to work out of the box when installing
with the mpath install-time argument.

After the install, I comment out the blacklist line in multipath.conf
and thing look the way I'd expect for an active/passive array:
[root at gimli ~]# multipath -l
mpath0 () dm-0 IBM,1742
[size=8.0G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
 \_ 0:0:0:0 sda 8:0   [active][undef]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
 \_ 1:0:0:0 sdb 8:16  [active][undef]

At this point things seem to work properly, and while the paths may not
be the preferred paths, I can wait until RHEL 5.1 for the RDAC support
that's been added to the multipath tools (I've been told a kernel patch
is also required, or I would just upgrade the tools myself).

However, I then attempted to install the first RHEL5 errata kernel, and
during the upgrade, the paths failed and the filesystem was labeled
read-only.  The kernel install finished, but after the reboot I have a
bit of a mess.  Notably, during boot the following errors are displayed:

Cannot open bindings file [/var/lib/multipath/bindings] : Read-only file
system
/dev/sda2: open failed: No such device or address
Found duplicate PV  using /dev/dm-7 not /dev/mapper/mpath0p2

And the multipath output is a mess as well (though better after a -F run):

[root at gimli ~]# multipath -l
mpath0 () dm-0 IBM,1742
[size=8.0G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
 \_ 0:0:0:0 sda 8:0   [active][undef]
 \_ 1:0:0:0 sdb 8:16  [active][undef]
3600a0b80000f82ce0000006241e539ccdm-5 IBM,1742
[size=8.0G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
 \_ 0:0:0:0 sda 8:0   [active][undef]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
 \_ 1:0:0:0 sdb 8:16  [active][undef]

[root at gimli ~]# multipath -F
mpath0: map in use

[root at gimli ~]# multipath -l
mpath0 () dm-0 IBM,1742
[size=8.0G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
 \_ 0:0:0:0 sda 8:0   [active][undef]
 \_ 1:0:0:0 sdb 8:16  [active][undef]

Rebooting to the original kernel has no effect, and this process is
reproducible (I've done about 3 clean installs). My only guess is that
it has something to do with mkinitrd not taking into account the
multipathing the same way RHEL5 anaconda does.  But that doesn't explain
to me why the old kernel doesn't work, nor why the paths fail during the
kernel upgrade.

Any guesses/insights/suggestions?

Thanks
Dana